Wednesday, November 07, 2007

NetJ

So I am about to finish day 3 of the new job... and all I can say is that it rocks. I get to wear normal (jeans, tshirt, hoodie) clothes, I have dual 19 inch LCDs hooked to a dual Xeon 3Ghz box with a rather unnecessary raid 0 array running Ubuntu, and my coworkers rock. Add to that my proximity to home, hour long lunch break, and something totally different to work on, and I'm in heaven.

Still in a cubicle... but at least it has six foot walls instead of the normal five foot ones. Also way less foot traffic, as I'm officially located on Dark Alley (yes, the cubicle rows have street names).

I think the big thing is that everyone here is just generally glad to work here and happy to be here. I also find myself looking forward to the day's tasks, rather than dreading work. I'm sure some of this is honeymoon period... but hopefully it will continue through the whole six months. I figure at least there is no way I can get bored in six months anyway.

The project itself is updating this old dos app to run as a web app in a browser. The app itself is pretty basic, but there is a lot of data to bring into hibernate and provide CRUD for. As far as I can tell, there seems to be a lot of DRY-Violation so far, so I have hopes of making a decent impact on that front. This project is budgeted for like a man-year or more, and if there is really as much opportunity for automation as I think, we might be able to cut that in half.

Anyway, I have been re-engaged by the Ender series at home. Last night I was up until 4 reading Speaker for the Dead. I have read Ender's Game about a dozen times now, but I only read the other three once or twice each, as I never was a big fan of them. Now that I'm not 12 though, I am really getting into Speaker. I can't believe I didn't like it before. It has been gripping, as evidenced by missing my bedtime by about 6 hours last night.

Goal for tonight is to finish Speaker and get to bed early. Bonus points if I have time to sort my Instants. Magic Glee!

1 comments:

kushet said...

Any chance you'd be willing to loan your Ender's series to me? I've always wanted to read them but other items of interest seem to get in the way.