Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Domain Names

So I randomly noticed yesterday that andrewfarmer.name was open, and heck, it's only $10/year. So now this blog is hosted under that. If I someday outgrow the blog, or want to host a real live website again, I'll have it for that too. It'll also be handy for hosting things like my resume, which I have thus far had to host on Lorebroker.

One thing that annoys me is how the domain forwarding works with Blogspot. They tell me to make a CNAME record to ghs.google.com, but don't give me an IP to use for the A record (which requires an IP, not another name). I did a ping of ghs.google.com and was using that IP for a bit, but a later ping give me a different IP, meaning that is some load balancing cluster. I don't want to hard code some IP in my DNS records that belongs to a server that could go up and down depending on demand. For now I had to use the decidedly unsatisfying solution of putting a meta refresh on the free hosting that came with the domain.

If they really wanted to make this feature shine, they'd give us an IP to point our A records at, and let us use multiple CNAMEs, instead of just one. That way I could set up wildcards and such.

Anyway, after getting this blog set up, I decided on a whim to add a Lorebroker development blog at blog.lorebroker.com. Not entirely needed at the moment, since I have no one to blog to, but hopefully useful someday for announcing features and just generally conversing with harry.

0 comments: