Thursday, December 06, 2007

Nieve!

(That means 'Snow!')

So I knew that we would have some crappy weather this weekend, but I definitely didn't expect Mother Nature to lead off with snow. While I generally hate all cold weather (anything below 80 is cold), I couldn't help but enjoy the snow while walking to lunch. But I think that was mostly because the whole visual experience meshed really well with disc 2 of And All That Could Have Been.

I tried to get to sleep at a decent time last night, because I was supposed to have a meeting this morning at 9am and I wanted to actually get here on time. Unfortunately I couldn't actually sleep and ended up working on Lorebroker again until 1am. I didn't accomplish anything in the way of new features, but I got the three Urza sets loaded into the database. The apostrophe in their names had led to failure in the past, only I had never noticed.

I also wrote a script to normalize the card types into three separate fields (supertype, type, and subtype). While I got that done, I didn't get anything changed to take advantage of them, so didn't bother uploading it. In the process I learned that disabling ferret index updating when doing mass db manipulation like that can cut update time by a factor of 10. (Enough so that it's worth disabling and just doing a complete index rebuild.)

Between work and Lorebroker I am programming about 16 hours a day. Granted, it's not like I am furiously churning out code that whole time (a surprisingly large part of my day is spent staring at a legal pad and thinking out my next move), but I am definitely in a chair the whole time. It's amazing how my legs feel tired after sitting so much. I definitely can't wait till spring semester so I can go work out at the Rec Center after work. Now that the project with Tyler is starting up, I'll be working on three big things and writing in seven different languages (if you count html, css, and sql as 'languages' ... which might be a bit of a stretch).

Oh well. After spending several years being a worthless bum, it's nice to exercise the mind a bit again.

0 comments: