Thursday, May 08, 2008

Bring Forth the Pixels

So my stimulus money came yesterday. I celebrated by buying another 24 inch monitor and a video card. Got the monitor on ebay (unopened box, three year warranty) for about $125 cheaper than normal price on Dell.com (although Dell had it on sale too, so only saved about $50 over that price). The video card also felt like a steal. Got an 8800GT which, despite all common sense logic, is both faster and cheaper than the 9600GT I had wanted. All told, the damage came to $778.99... but $600 of that is Uncle Sam's money, and the rest was Grandpa's (I haven't spent what he gives me for Christmas in several years now).

Added bonus is that I don't even have to actually pay for it until March of 2009. Yay 0% credit card offers!

I look forward to the doubling of screen real estate I am about to experience. I have dual (19") monitors at work, and my single 24" at home actually feels small in comparison. I have become much more adept at taking advantage of the multiple workspace feature in X, but it's just nice to have lots of stuff visible at once. Video card will mean I can finally compiz at home too.

Looking forward to pulling an all-nighter tonight. Want to get a lot done before Tyler comes out on Saturday, and don't have a lot of faith in being productive on a Friday night. Besides, all-nighters are fun.

blog comments powered by Disqus