Monday, August 13, 2007

Back in Town

Well just got moved back to Lawrence.

Several projects on tap at the moment. Helping Dad build me a computer desk for my new office space in my apartment. I really enjoy having an office area, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more once I have a big flat surface to work on. Also slowly putting together a new computer at home (only have the case bought at the moment). Preliminary specs are as follows:

  • Qmicra II Case
  • Core 2 Duo E6420
  • 2GB of DDR2-800
  • Western Digital SE16 750gb hard drive
  • Some kind of microATX motherboard (this is what is holding me back at the moment)
  • Possibly a GeForce 8600GT if the motherboard has crappy onboard video
  • Watercooling and generic DVD/CD writer
  • 24 inch black Samsung LCD that does 1920x1200
One thing I am excited to try is running XP on a VirtualBox VM from within Gentoo. It would be nice to be able to play DotA and use Skype without rebooting all the time. Not to mention it would free me from having a separate 20gb partition just for Windows. Now I'll just have a big fat 20gb binary file.

My laptop has some serious motherboard problems, so I'd like to get the new machine passably running so I can send the laptop in for repairs. It's past the warranty now, so it'll cost me, but need the darn thing to work well.

Current read is The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil. I have just started it, but so far enjoy the heck out of it. Considering all the changes that have happened in my short life so far, I can't wait to see what humanity is like in 50 years.

0 comments: